Thursday, May 31, 2012

The First Latina US Military Pilot


     With her 3 year-old daughter and husband at her side, 26 year-old Olga Custodio told the military sergeant, “You can write down anything you want on that form, but I’m going to be a pilot, a pilot or a pilot.”
     She then became the first Latina to complete U.S. Air Force military pilot training. Custodio served for 24 years in the U.S. Air Force, retiring as a Lt. Colonel.  She then became the first Latina commercial airline captain.  She flew for American Airlines. She has flown for 11,000 hours and still enjoys flying.  “Everything I did was for me and my family. I was not out to prove anything. I didn’t even know I was the first anything.” 
    Her advice to young Latinas: “I tell them that this is what I love to do. I assure the girls that women do indeed fly jets.  But most importantly, I tell them they must each find for themselves what they love to do. My mantra is ‘Querer es poder.’  I believe everyone has the potential to do it. They just have to believe in themselves enough to actually do it.”

 By Graciela Tiscareño-Sato Fox News

No comments:

Post a Comment